Please join us from 9.30am to 2.00pm on Saturday 2 December 2017 for a fantastic day of adventure and exploration, all the while cleaning up the beautiful Makara Beach and the coastline on Meridian Energy’s West Wind farm. This wild piece of spectacular coastline, although well looked after by the locals, is affected by a regular flow of waste, so we are going to give it a good pre-summer clean-up. Meridian has been working with Sustainable Coastlines in communities to raise awareness and support coastal clean-ups around Wellington since 2012.
Important note: All participants need to register through the form below!
Meet at the Sustainable Coastlines ‘Education Station’ container on Makara Beach at 9.30am, Saturday 2nd December to sign-in and collect equipment, for a 10.00am start. From there we will split into teams and head out along the coastline on foot and by 4WD vehicle to clean-up the area from Makara Beach and Meridian’s Ohau Bay.
Bring your own 4WD or jump in one that is provided to join the convoy. This will be a unique opportunity to explore the incredibly beautiful bays that are usually closed to vehicle access where unfortunately, tonnes of plastic rubbish washes up.
We will provide (for registered participants only):
- Reusable Gloves
- Reusable Bags
- A Ride to Meridian’s Ohau Bay
- Lunch – Sausage Sizzle on the beach with veggie options available
- Refreshments – Water, Juice plus a free Tea, Coffee or snack from the Makara Beach Cafe
- A Fun, Healthy and Safe Environment
Participants need to bring:
- Sturdy shoes – this area has some challenging coastal terrain with rocks that can be sharp, loose and slippery. You’ll need closed-toe, sturdy shoes (such as sneakers, sports shoes or tramping boots).
- Warm and waterproof clothes – New Zealand weather is unpredictable, especially out here. Bring at least one warm top (ideally woollen) and a rain jacket.
- Sun hat and sun cream.
- Reusable water bottle (filled-up and ready to go).
- Camera (optional) – this is a unique and beautiful location and we would love to see your photos after the event.
- Your own 4WD (optional) – this is a rare opportunity to explore an amazing area that is usually closed to public access.
Please note that this is a beautiful but remote and energetic stretch of landscape which, like all outdoor activities, comes with inherent risks. The Sustainable Coastlines and Meridian Energy teams will endeavour to reduce risks whenever possible and will assist in the unlikely event of an accident, however by participating in this activity you are assuming full responsibility for you and your children’s safety.
Any questions, please contact Programmes Manager – Oliver Vetter at email@example.com
Please register now to confirm your attendance, it is mandatory for all attendees and only takes 30 seconds! If you cannot see the registration form below, please register here.