To celebrate the end of Seaweek 2018, on Saturday 10 March, we’re heading back to the Manukau Harbour, to follow on from the success of 2016 and 2017’s campaigns. With 386 kilometres of coastline, attempting to clean up the Manukau Harbour — Aotearoa/New Zealand’s second largest – is a massive task. Join us on the day by dropping into one of our clean-up stations, strategically located around the harbour. Please register through the form below to help us to plan for numbers and Health & Safety considerations.
Clean-up stations will be located at:
- Cornwallis (Pine Ave Carpark)
- Onehunga (Taumanu Reserve)
- Mangere Bridge (Mangere Boating Club)
- Clarks Beach (Torkar Rd Beach Access)
From 9am to 12 midday on Saturday 10 March 2018, meet our team at any of our clean-up stations around the Manukau Harbour to register, receive important Health & Safety information and pick-up sacks, gloves and other important equipment. The last volunteers will be taken at 12pm and the stations will shut down around 1pm.
From the stations, you’ll be directed where to head to start the clean-up. We will be encouraging people to jump back in their cars and head out to some harder to reach spots, so if you’re willing for this that would be great – we’ll give you maps and all the info you need. If you’d prefer to hang around the immediate areas, that will be very welcome. Bring your haul and your gear back to the station and we’ll have some delicious refreshments on hand.
What to bring
- Closed-toe sturdy shoes, such as sneakers, sports shoes or tramping boots are required for participation. Gumboots are not allowed. Coastal terrain can be challenging with rocks that can be sharp, loose and slippery.
- Warm and waterproof clothes: NZ weather is unpredictable. Bring at least one warm top layer and a rain jacket.
- Sun hat, sun cream and other sunsmart gear.
- Reusable water bottle (filled-up and ready to go).
- Camera (optional) – this is a unique and beautiful location and we’d love to see your photos. Use #loveyourcoast on social media or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reusable rubbish sacks and gloves
- Drinking and hand washing water
- Sunblock, hand sanitiser and soap
- Health and Safety briefing and documents
- First aid kits and first aid trained staff
- A fun, healthy and safe environment
- Refreshments for afterwards
Please register now to confirm your attendance, this helps us plan our logistics and catering requirements. If the form below does work, please click here.