Please join us from 9.30am to 3.00pm on Saturday 5 December for a fantastic day of adventure and exploration, all the while cleaning up the beautiful Makara Beach and the coastline surrounding Meridian Energy’s West Wind farm. This wild piece of spectacular coastline, although well looked after by the locals, is affected by a regular flow of waste, so we are going to give it a good pre-summer clean-up. Meridian has been working with Sustainable Coastlines to raise awareness and support coastal clean-ups around Wellington since 2012.
Important note: All participants need to register through the form below.
Meet at the Sustainable Coastlines ‘Education Station’ container on Makara Beach at 9.30am, Saturday 5 December to sign-in and collect equipment, for a 10.00am start. From there we will split into teams and head out along the coastline on foot and by 4WD vehicle to clean-up the area from Makara Beach around to Ohau and Opau Bays.
Bring your own 4WD or jump in one that is provided to join the convoy. This will be a unique opportunity to explore the incredibly beautiful bays that are usually closed to the public where unfortunately, tonnes of plastic rubbish washes up.
Bring your own lunch or join us for a free sausage sizzle from 12.30pm at Makara Beach.
Participants need to bring:
- Sturdy shoes – this area has some challenging coastal terrain with rocks that can be sharp, loose and slippery. You’ll need closed-toe, sturdy shoes (such as sneakers, sports shoes or tramping boots).
- Warm and waterproof clothes – New Zealand weather is unpredictable, especially out here. Bring at least one warm top (ideally woollen) and a rain jacket.
- Sun hat and sun cream.
- Reusable water bottle (filled-up and ready to go).
- Camera (optional) – this is a unique and beautiful location and we would love to see your photos after the event.
- Your own 4WD (optional) – this is a rare opportunity to explore an amazing area that is usually closed to public access.
Any questions, please contact Project Manager Oliver Vetter at email@example.com
Please register now to confirm your attendance, it is mandatory for all attendees and only takes 30 seconds!
If you cannot see the registration form below – please register Here