As part of our 2017 Love your Water campaign in Wellington we invite you to join us on Sunday 2 July 2017 for a day of tree planting alongside the Kaiwharawhara Stream in collaboration with the dedicated team at the Trelissick Park Group who lovingly take care of this special urban stream. Peter Rienmann and his team have been looking after this area for many years and as part of the Love Your Water Programme we were honoured to give them a hand.
The key aims of the project are to improve water quality and create habitat for the native Tuna (Long finned eel) that live in this stream. To do this we’ll be clearing weeds, mulching and planting native trees which provide shade, habitat and bank stabilisation.
Simply meet at the the old military battery, off Kaiwharawhara Road. See map above for exact location. Park on Kaiwhararwhara Road and take a short walk into the park. Look out for the Sustainable Coastlines flag.
We’ll be starting from 10.00am and finishing up around 2:00pm. You can stay for as little or as long as you like but we’ll have Tea, Coffee and juices as well as a light lunch for all participants. To volunteer simply sign-up via our quick registration form.
- Trees and planting site
- A planting tutorial
- Drinks: Water and juice plus tea and coffee for adults
- Access to toilets
- Health & safety documents
- First aid kits and first aid trained staff
What to bring:
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes that you don’t mind getting a bit muddy. This is critical for Health & Safety considerations: those not wearing closed-toe shoes will not be able to participate.
- Warm and waterproof clothes. At least one warm top layer and a rain jacket.
- Sun hat and sunscreen
- Reusable water bottle (filled up and ready to go)
- Your old or unused mobile phone to recycle. As charity partner of the RE:MOBILE phone recycling scheme, donating your old mobile helps us raise critical funds for freshwater restoration.
- Bring a camera (optional). We would love to see your event photos! Use the tag #loveyourwater on social media or email photos to oliver@sustainablecoastlines.
If the form below doesn’t appear, please register here
Any questions? Email Oliver Vetter on email@example.com or call 021 025 98301