Beach clean-up operations are underway through iwi, New Zealand Defence Force, and volunteer programmes. It is important that oil clean-up is carried out safely and in a coordinated manner.
Please stay off the beach except for coordinated clean-ups. Please read the following information if you would like to help out.
- You must be 16 years of age or older and physically fit.
- You must be willing to work a minimum of a 4-hour shift.
- If this is you, register as a volunteer online at www.boprc.govt.nz/oilspillvolunteers/ or by calling 0800 645 774.
- The Volunteer Coordination team will be in touch. Please do not turn up for clean-ups unless you have registered and have been contacted by email and / or text. Please check your emails regularly to make sure you have the latest information.
- You must bring your own pair of gumboots. Volunteers without their own gumboots will not be permitted to clean-up for safety reasons.
- Do not bring additional equipment, such as your own protective suits, shovels, rakes, sacks and gloves: these will be provided.
- Bring your own food and water in a backpack you can carry with you. Clean-up can be physically challenging so you will need to stay well-nourished.
Where and when to clean-up
Clean-up times will vary each day based on tides. Clean-ups will take place from 30 minutes after High Tide through to 2 hours on the incoming tide. Clean-up locations will also vary, based on where the oil is. For more detail refer to the Volunteer Hub at www.boprc.govt.nz