Join us on Tuesday the 3rd of November on Kapiti Island to learn more about our Litter Intelligence Education Programme (LIEP). This workshop is free to educators interested in our project-based environmental education programme.
Where to meet and when: Please be at the Kāpiti Boating Club at 2 Marine Parade, Paraparaumu Beach by 8.30am. We will kick off the event with a brief PowerPoint presentation about the programme before we complete the biosecurity checks and board the ferry for the trip to Waiorua Bay at 9.40pm
When will we get back: We will return to Paraparaumu Beach by approx. 4pm.
Biosecurity requirements: Please ensure that you have read, understood and comply with DOC’s island biosecurity requirements for visitors to Kāpiti Island which can be viewed at this link. The key areas to carefully and thoroughly check for any biosecurity risks, such as ants, other insects, lizards, mammalian predators eg rats or mice and any plant seeds, are your boots, the inside of your bag and the pockets of your bag and jacket and/or raincoat. You can also check out this informative biosecurity video https://youtu.be/yXNOpfW7PPQ.
What to bring: You’ll need to be prepared for a full day of relatively strenuous exercise on an exposed coastline. There is a visitor shelter available for us to use and the forecast at this stage is looking great but please make sure you have the following items with you as the weather can change quickly:
– Wet weather gear i.e raincoat and leggings if the weather is wet (I have some spares if anyone needs either just let me know)
– Sturdy hiking shoes or boots (preferred/recommended)
– Layers of comfortable clothing that you can remove if it warms up, including a warm jacket and thermals if you feel the cold
– Sunscreen and/or SunSmart clothing and a sunhat (fingers crossed we will need these!)
– Plenty of food and water for yourself for the day
– Backpack or tramping pack to carry your gear and to help with carrying the survey kit and any rubbish we collect out
– Mobile phone
Covid-19: Our latest Covid-19 protocol can be viewed at this link. If you have any queries or concerns about this please feel free to contact me directly.