Following on from the success of two years of Love Your Coast Manukau Harbour in 2016 and 2017, we’re going to bite off our biggest piece of coastal clean-up pie yet and tackle the entire Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland) region, from north to south, east to west. This is our biggest New Zealand based clean-up project to date and you are invited to be a part of it. We have opportunities for community members, groups, schools and corporates to get involved. See below for more info.
Public Clean-up Days
If you’re out there in the community and are keen to help out with some coastal clean-up action, we will be holding large-scale public clean-up days in conjunction with Seaweek 2018:
- Saturday 3 March from the mainland in the Waitemata / Hauraki Gulf.
- Saturday 3 March on Waiheke Island.
- Saturday 10 March in the Manukau Harbour.
From February 12 to April 13, 2018, we offer your school, at no cost, an educational presentation and optional beach clean-up, coordinated by our team.
Our experienced presenters — who have delivered educational presentations to more than 177,000 people — will visit your school at a time that suits and using imagery, and a dynamic presentation, will build an understanding of the challenges and effects of litter in the marine environment and motivate students to look after their local stretch of coast.
Our team can also coordinate an optional coastal clean-up event at your local or preferred beach and we have many suitable beaches ready and waiting for your loving students. We will provide rubbish sacks, gloves and health and safety equipment, however, transport must be organised and paid for by the school.
Please contact Fletcher Sunde on 021 871 918 or [email protected] to book your spot.
Where will we be and when?
- Feb 12 to 16: North Shore and North Shore beaches
- Feb 19 to 22: Waitakere and west coast beaches
- Feb 26 to March 2: East Rodney and Whangaparaoa
- March 5 to 9: Franklin and NW Auckland, Kariotahi and Muriwai
- March 12 to 16: East Auckland, Bucklands Beach to Tapapakanga
- March 19 to 23: Manukau, Otuatua to Puhinui Reserve
- March 26 to 30: Central Auckland and Hauraki Gulf Islands (TBC)
- April 2 to 6: Mangere, Mangere Bridge to Puketutu Island
- April 9 to 13: East central Auckland, Okahu Bay to St Heliers
If you have another preference for a location that is close to your school, we can certainly accommodate you!
We will provide (at no cost to your school):
- An organised beach clean-up with our first aid-trained staff, including rubbish audit and disposal.
- All equipment required (gloves, sacks, first aid kits, hi-visibility vests for leaders, a RAMs and Health and Safety plan).
- Online promotion of your school’s involvement.
- Lots of fun!
Proper adult-to-student ratios are essential for our Health & Safety requirements and should be factored into your planning process. If we do not have the correct ratios we will not be able to run the event. Ratios are:
- Years 0-4: 1:6
- Years 5-8: 1:8
- Years 9-13: 1:25
As part of a new long-term project, initiated in conjunction with the Ministry for the Environment, the Department of Conservation and Stats New Zealand, we invite your school (or group from your school) to participate in a new clean-up and data collection framework, specifically designed as a citizen science tool for school students. This entails no greater commitment than a regular clean-up and will also be facilitated by our experienced staff. Please ask us for more information.
For more information please contact Fletcher on 021 871 918 or [email protected].
There are three ways for corporate groups to get involved with Love Your Coast Tāmaki Makaurau 2018:
- Take part in public clean-up days with your team on March 3 and March 10. More information on these dates will be released shortly, watch this space.
- Come out in our corporate clean-up week from April 16 to 20 where we’ll take crews to get stuck right into the hard to reach spots that we can’t take school groups to.
- Become an official sponsor of the project and we’ll coordinate a clean-up specifically for you and your team, in addition to all our other sponsorhsip benefits (please see below).
For more information on any of the above please contact Fletcher on 021 871 918 or [email protected].
We’re looking for caring corporates to get behind the project. We need to raise funds to cover essential logistical, Health and Safety, transport and training costs, and sponsorship is crucial to ensure this project’s success.
We offer sponsors:
- A tailored team building beach clean-up with your staff, planned and led by Sustainable Coastlines. This includes our multimedia educational presentation to motivate your staff to get involved. We bring all equipment, however additional hard costs may apply for food and transport (depending on numbers, location and preferences).
- A two-hour workshop at your office (or other location of your choosing) in either Presentation Delivery or Event Management, delivered by our experienced staff.
- License to Sustainable Coastlines logos for use on web, marketing and other promotional materials during the course of the event.
- A set of event photos for marketing, media and promotional use.
- Mention of your support on event media releases and mention during media interviews, wherever possible.
- Announcement and exposure of your organisation’s support to our mailing list (5,000 recipients) and social media networks (combined audience 15,000).
- Exposure through most prominent logo positioning on:
a. The official event page on Sustainable Coastlines’ website.
b. 4m x 1m sponsor banner used for photo opportunities.
c. Promotional posters and flyers.
d. Project report, including a breakdown of all rubbish collected (great for CSR / sustainability reporting / marketing).
- Branding on rubbish sacks which appear in majority of event photos.
- Bespoke video about the project featuring your support (approx. 90 seconds length).
- Framed certificate of project results.
- Tickets to celebration event at The Flagship Education Centre.
Sponsorship is available at multiple levels to suit your needs and resources. For more information and to open a discussion, please contact Andy on 021 358 366 or [email protected].