Join us for a fantastic day where you can explore, experience and give something back to the beautiful Makara and the coastline surrounding Meridian’s West Wind Farm.
Meet at the Sustainable Coastlines display container on Makara Beach at 10am, Saturday 24 November to sign-in and collect equipment.
From there we’ll split into teams and head out along the coastline on foot and by 4WD vehicle to clean-up the area from Makara Beach around to Ohau Bay.
This wild piece of spectacular coastline, although well looked after by the locals, is affected by a regular flow of waste, so we are going to give it a good pre-summer clean-up.
We’ll provide the 4WDs or bring your own to join our convoy, this will be a unique opportunity to explore the incredibly beautiful bays that are usually closed to the public, where unfortunately, tonnes of plastic rubbish washes up.
Lunch will be provided from 1pm at Makara Beach with the support of Meridian Energy, whose staff will be mucking-in to clean-up too.
Please register here to confirm your attendance.
As we all know, Wellington can have challenging weather conditions at this time of year. A message will go up on this event page and be sent by email to those registered on Wednesday 21 November, confirming whether the event is going ahead, or if it will be postponed to our bad weather day, Saturday 1 December.
Participants need to bring:
- Sturdy shoes: this area has some challenging coastal terrain with rocks that can be sharp, loose and slippery. You’ll need closed-toe, sturdy shoes (such as sneakers, sports shoes or tramping boots).
- Warm and waterproof clothes: NZ weather is unpredictable. Bring at least one warm top (ideally old woolen) and a rain jacket.
- Sun hat and sun cream.
- Reusable water bottle (filled-up and ready to go).
- Camera (optional) – this is a unique and beautiful location and we would love to see your photos after the event.
- Your own 4WD (optional) – this is a unique opportunity to explore this area that is usually closed to public access.
Any questions, contact Sam Judd, Event Director at firstname.lastname@example.org